THE BRIDAL VEIL



    WE'RE married, they say, and you think you have won me,--
    Well, take this white veil from my head, and look on me;
    Here's matter to vex you, and matter to grieve you,
    Here's doubt to distrust you, and faith to believe you,--
    I am all as you see, common earth, common dew;
    Be wary, and mould me to roses, not rue!

    Ah! shake out the filmy thing, fold after fold,
    And see if you have me to keep and to hold,--
    Look close on my heart--see the worst of its sinning,--
    It is not yours to-day for the yesterday's winning--
    The past is not mine--I am too proud to borrow--
    You must grow to new heights if I love you to-morrow.

    I have wings flattened down and hid under my veil:
    They are subtle as light--you can never undo them,
    And swift in their flight--you can never pursue them,
    And spite of all clasping, and spite of all bands,
    I can slip like a shadow, a dream, from your hands.

    Nay, call me not cruel, and fear not to take me,
    I am yours for my life-time, to be what you make me,--
    To wear my white veil for a sign, or a cover,
    As you shall be proven my lord, or my lover;
    A cover for peace that is dead, or a token
    Of bliss that can never be written or spoken.

    THE BRIDAL VEIL
    by: Alice Cary (1820-1871)







    Photos Vogue Italy
    Source URL: http://weddingspace.blogspot.com/2010/11/bridal-veil.html
    Visit Wedding Space for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

Blog Archive